One of the things we never considered when we first set out to
explore the universe was who, exactly, we were entrusting with
this vital mission. The question we didn't think to ask became
even less important once our very existence was in jeopardy.
Like most of the problems we've created throughout our history,
we only realized the question we should have been asking once
the answer was painfully clear, and by then, it was too late.
As humanity fought to make a new home for itself among the stars, there were
those among us to saw something else waiting among the myriad of new worlds.
They saw profit.
Corporations had long tried to poach our best and brightest from the public sector.
Thanks to things like salaries commensurate with ability and training, they were
largely successful. The corporations and their armies of scientists and engineers
did what they could to help humanity spread out among the stars. Most people
niavely thought they were doing it out of some sense of unity and the desire to
acheive a common goal. Instead, they were motivated by the same thing that
always drove them - greed. New worlds meant new resources and new markets.
The corporations were certainly not going to let that go to waste in the name of
something foolish like the survival of the human race.
Armed with the latest technology and led by some of the greatest minds, the
corporations quickly made staked their claims on the new worlds. By the time the
fledgling governments of the three systems got their act together, the corporations
were too big and too powerful to oppose. The governments still tried, sparking off
the Corporate Wars.
For more than a century, private, corporate funded, armies tore across the three
systems, waging war on the governments and each others alike. The toll in lives
was immense, but it was the expenditure of resources with no return that
ultimately brought the war to a close.
The thirteen largest corporations got together and delivered their terms to the
governments of the three systems. Faced with extermination by a technologically
and numerically superior foe, the governments had no choice but to agree to the
Use the links to the right to learn more about the sixteen largest corporations active
in the three systems.
- Adaptive Genetic Research - Genetic Research
- Antedeiluvian Research Foundation - Non-Profit Religious Research
- Affordable Augmentations - Cybernetic & Transgenic Augmentation
- Avant Guardeans - Private Security
- Consumer Investment Group - Investment Banking for the average person
- Emergency Medevac Services - Emergency Medical Response Services
- Flatline Incorporated - Private Military & Security Company
- Genesis EnviroTech - Terraforming Technologies
- Gibson Avant-Garde Electronics - Cutting Edge Electronics
- KineTech Weapons Systems - Weapons Manufacturer
- InfoCorp - Independent News Organization
- Integrated Computer Systems - Industrial Networking & Computing
- Interstellar Rescue Company - Medical, Security, Intelligence, & Crisis Response
- Metaphysical Science Research Partners - Research into Psionics
- Millennium Group - Consumer Goods
- NexTech - Advanced Technologies
- Noble Knight Security - Private Security
- Nunyo Business Solutions - Consulting
- Parallax Consumer Recreation - Entertainment
- Proteus Biomedical - Medical & Cybernetic Technology
- Prestige Consumer Products - Consumer Goods
- Solo High-velocity Interstellar Transit - Shipping & Freight
- Stirling Aerospace - Spacecraft
- Sunova Productions - Entertainment Production
- Trans-Empyrean Carriers - Shipping & Freight
- United Petro-Chemical Corporation